Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:18:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Drew Sanford <lauasanf@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apsfilter - the 28 hour install?

Drew Sanford writes:
> Ok, being an old *nix person (ok, so not THAT old) I noticed that
> FreeBSD had an apsfilter port. I thought that made all the sense in the
> world since apsfilter was single handedly responsable for me being able
> to print on my old slackware box. So I figured I'd give it a shot on
> FreeBSD, in its brand new version 6 form. Other than the fact that I
> fell asleep while it was installing :) ..it went on just fine (that must
> be a killer port to maintain).

I'm not saying it's not a killer port to maintain, but the reason it
takes so long to build is because it depends on so many other things,
some of which are pretty big themselves! Ghostscript, a2ps, acroread,
ImageMagick, teTeX, html2ps, psutils, and transfig. If you have to
download them all, it could take days.

> The setup was cool, I love the fact that
> version 6 supports so many printers, espcially my deskjet 812. So I set
> everything up so that it should work, and finally got around to printing
> the test page. The test page printed out flawlessly - but it took almost
> 24 hours all by itself. Does it always take that long for the test page
> to print? Is this a bug related to the fact that the driver for the 812
> is new? Any ideas?

No, it doesn't always take so long. It only took a few minutes to
start arriving at my postscript printer. Going to an older deskjet
took quite a while, but not that long. Part of it might be the new
driver. Part of it might be your system. It's got to run through
ghostscript to generate the graphics for the page, and it's a pretty
intense page. Try printing the test page again, and watching the
system activity to see what's going on. Try running top to see what's
chewing up CPU time, and "vmstat 5" to see if you're getting any
paging activity.

	<mike