Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 16:02:48 GMT
From:      "shawn ." <uditoru@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org

Greetings,

My problem is as follows: I recently bought a new modem for the sole purpose
of using it under freebsd. My previous modem had been a
winmodem, so I made sure this one was not. However, this is strictly a PnP
modem, I can't set anything up with the jumpers as there is no jumpers to
speak of.

Following the instructions from the FreeBSD handbook, I added "controller
pnp0" to my kernel, recompiled it, then rebooted. On startup, there is no
evidence of it even probing for PnP devices.

Following advice from someone on efnet's #freebsd, I disabled the PnP
feature on my BIOS. Rebooted. No difference. Added "options PNPBIOS" in my
kernel, recompiled, rebooted. No difference.

Reading the mailing list archives, I decided to try to find my PnP ID using
pnpinfo. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have pnpinfo on my system, nor on
the cd. I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.5.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point.. I have a 3Com USR PCI modem,
model # 5610, v.90.

I would be very happy to receive any guidance. Thanks for your time.