Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:04:41 -0600
From:      Ron Freidel <rfreidel@3rivers.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   network tweaks?

I am attempting to tweak the network settings so I can have the same download speed on my FreeBSD 4.5 box as I do on the "router" that has win2k installed.

I need to use a win based router since I use direcpc.

With Linux I have found that all I have to do is to reset a few things, this is what works in Linux...
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

Here is what I have done for this box
/etc/sysctl.conf
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0
vfs.vmiodirenable=1
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192
kern.ipc.maxsockets=16424
kern.maxfiles=65536
kern.maxfilesperproc=32768
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.udp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.udp.maxdgram=57344
net.local.stream.recvspace=65535
net.local.stream.sendspace=65535

With these settings I am close to matching the download speed, but am not there yet. While downloading a test file the windows box will download at about 72.5kbps while the FreeBSD box will download the same file at 51kbps. Prior to editing /etc/sysctl.conf I was lucky to get 30kbps.

It is not the hardware since I have had Linux running with the same computer and hardware.

Can anyone suggest any additional settings I may try. Perhaps just an equivalent to the above mentioned Linux settings would be great.

Thanks,
Ron

I am not subscribed to the list, please cc me.