Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:57:28 +0100
From:      Alex Dyas <ADyas@twowaytv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: root shell

> how do I get the root account use other shell than csh?
> I have changed the root's shell entry in /etc/passwd to
> /bin/bash, but still get csh upon logging in.

Use vipw to make manual changes to the /etc/passwd file.  See man page for
reasons why you can't just edit the file and expect the changes to come into
effect.

As a side note, it is unadvisable to change root's default shell for a
number of reasons.  There is a high probability that the shell you've used
instead (eg bash) resides on a partition other than the root partition
(/usr).  In an emergency situation where you only have the root partition
mounted you won't have a shell to log in with.  If you absolutely have to
use a shell other than the default your best bet is just to put up with
running it after you log in.

alex..