Date:        Sat, 8 Apr 2000 11:01:19 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating to 4.0 from sources

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 05:09:34PM -0400, William Freeman wrote:

> Ok, here is the deal. every time i try and install either FreeBSD 4.0 or
> 5.0-CURRENT
> as downloaded with CVSup, when it gets to building bin/test, i get
> Signal 12(core
> dumped) and then i can't write to the disk or anything.  when i reboot,
> it makes me
> enter full path to shell to enter single user mode, and when i enter
> /bin/csh or /bin/sh, it
> gives me Exited on Signal 12(core dumped) and i have to reinstall from
> thee looserly
> 3.3-R CDs i've had for a while (i had just been updating with CVSup
> since then).
> anyone know what the problem is?

No, but I had almost the same problems some time ago. The difference is that
I was tracking 3.4-stable rather than 4.x
But the same symptoms, something went wrong with /bin/test during
installworld and then half the programs in /bin would core dump as soon as I
tried to run them. (Including /bin/sh and /bin/csh)
I fixed it by booting with a fixit-disk and copied all the files from the
/bin directory on my 3.2-CD to my /bin, nuked /usr/obj and finally did a
new make world.
At the time I put it down to flaky hardware (or something) and I have
(thankfully) not seen it again.