Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 17:00:31 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel compile error

On Friday,  8 December 2000 at 22:26:18 -0800, chip wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> On Friday,  8 December 2000 at 21:12:14 -0800, chip wrote:
>>> I copied the GENERIC kernel to WIEGAND, ran vi to add one
>>> line at the bottom of the file -
>>> device        pcm             then ran
>>> /usr/sbin/config -g WIEGAND           and all is okay
>>> ../../compile/WIEGAND         and get the following error:
>>> cc -c -0 -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
>>> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
>>> -Winline -Wcast-qual -fformat-extensions -ansi -g -nostdinc
>>> -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include -D_KERNEL -include
>>> opt_global.h -el -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
>>> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7770.c In file included from
>>> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_freebsd.h:176, from
>>> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7770.c:41:
>>> ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.h:40: aic7xxx_reg.h:
>>> no such file or directory Error Code 1
>>> stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/WIEGAND
>>>
>>> I then ran vi WIEGAND and found one line with aic and
>>> commented out that one line, reran the above and got
>>> the same results. I then deleted WIEGAND and started
>>> over but did not comment out the aic line, just added
>>> the device pcm only, and now get access denied even
>>> though I am doing this as root.
>>>
>>> I can't find a log file of the errors, is there one?
>>> I wrote all that stuff down on paper then typed it all
>>> in this long-hand.
>>> Help please, I just want to enable a sb64 card.
>>
>> Did you read this message?
>
> Yeah, for whatever reason I figured doing the make was
> the same, in your book (3rd ed. 1999) it shows make with
> the depend. Was this corrected in one of the addendums I
> haven't read all of? :)

Yup.  It's counterintuitive to *require* a make depend if you have
just created the directory, and it took me a while to realise that
people depended on it.

> Anyway, now the following happens quite a ways in to the
> process (I'm now running make depend) -
> ===> agp
> make: don't know how to make apg_if.c stop
> error code 2
> stop in /usr/src/sys/modules
> error code 1
> stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/WIEGAND
>
> I went through the WIEGAND kernel and do not see any
> references to agp at all. What am I missing now?

These are the modules, not the kernel.  I don't know why this isn't
working, but it points to problems in your makefile configuration.
The good news is that you don't need it.  Just go back and build the
kernel.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.