Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:58:29 GMT
From:      groggy@iname.com
To:        "freebsd-questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: losing controlling terminal

> > > FBSD 3.51
> > > why is it that when you lose the controlling
> > > terminal (such as an MS client killing a TELNET window)
> > > the processes activated by that window on the FBSD server
> > > keep running - i sometimes see my HD LED light on cuz
> > > 2 process of "lynx" or somehting are eating up 50% each
> > > of my CPU time - cuz a user killed their telnet client.
> >
> > I suspect it's a bug in lynx (or something). It's ignoring HUP signals
> > and EOFs while doing raw I/O from the terminal, so it sits there
> > getting an EOF and not being happy about it. Use gcore to get a core
> > image or use gdb on the process to figure out where it is and what
> > it's doing. Then fix it :->.

well - no - it's not lynx, cuz it happens with BSD ftp, telnet, talk,
etc, etc, with everythign as far as i can tell.
FBSD doesn't seem to understand:

no user/tty = kill user processes.

this isn't a new thing ...
i've noticed it in FBSD for
a year or 2 or so - but i think
i do remember a time when FBSD was
good about cleaing up after users
broke tty connections.

i don't know if it's related, but i can
also kill Xwindow quite often, and yet - BSDI
Netscape 4.73 is still running - doing the same
kind thing in terms of gobbling up all available
CPU time in the background after the controlling
terminal is gone.