Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 20:18:55 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyrix 6x86 CPU

In the last episode (Oct 31), Studded said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> > So for all but the most rabid performace freaks that can sense when
> > a branch is predicted wrong or when a pipeline stalls, including
> > all possible CPU types will make absolutely no difference.
>
> 	So if we know how to conditionalize this code, why is it still
> necessary to specify the cpu type?  Why not have /usr/sbin/config detect
> the cpu type and DTRT? (Or whatever convenient/efficient mechanism is
> appropriate.)

The machine I run /usr/sbin/config on may not be the machine I'm
compiling for.  For example, I have a two-machine network at home.  My
squid cache and modem are hooked up to a 486/50 12MB laptop which
doesn't even have source on it.  I compile kernels for it on my P133
and copy them over NFS.

What I was trying to say was that maybe the options should be removed,
or changed to NO_I386_SUPPORT, so that joe user wouldn't see the option
in GENERIC and wonder if he can remove it.  There is a comment that SMP
users will need to remove 386 and 486 support, so the options will have
to exist in some form (or maybe options SMP should disable support
automatically)

	-Dan