Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 08:36:25 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
Cc:        Gabor Esperon <gesperon@yahoo.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What database i can use?

> At 9:05 am -0800 24/12/99, Gabor Esperon wrote:
> >I need a good database server in my network, under
> >FreeBSD 3.3
> >
> >What is recommended: Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL or
> >another?
>
> Previous responses by others are reasonable, although MySQL is better
> than Berend de Boer  said for quick and effective apps using many
> accesses - few (and not too complex) updates.

If you don't need transactions and rollback capability (and triggers),
then I would recommend that you seriously consider it.

I'm using MySQL for a couple of applications on my FreeBSD home
automation system.  It collects caller-id (for inbound) and call detail
records (for outbound) calls from my PBX into a table, as well as
periodic temperature measurements every 4 minutes from 11 temperature
probes in various locations.

For my application, the transactions are generally pretty simple
with lots of inserts (there are 719,000 records in the temperature
measurement table, 5255 in the inbound call table and 4812 in the
outbound call table).  The database server simply seems to work.  I
can't remember the last time I manually restarted it; currently, it's
been up for for a bit more than 48 days which corresponds to the last
time that system booted.

There are also client-side interfaces available in perl, tcl, php3 as
well as a C API.

louie