Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:22:40 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Hyunseog Ryu <hyun@staff.norlight.net>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Korea (was: Sendmail Spam RBL)

On 2002-06-20 15:45 +0000, Hyunseog Ryu wrote:

> As an Korean, I apologize for inconvenience.  But I want to give
> some background for SPAM email from Korea.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write this post.  I, for one thing,
sympathise with the Korean people that do not want to be limited in
any way when they try to use the Internet to communicate with people
all over the world.  However, it is also a fact that more than 90% of
the spam that me and others here in Greece are constantly receiving
originates from Korean mail servers, or at least has a character set
that is Korean.

> Korea government is very strict for SPAM email.

It doesn't seem to work though.  I don't mean by this that the
government of Korea is not trying to do something, but could you
provide us with more references?

Such as, contact points to an office that can handle such cases when
they are reported?  See my comments below about CERT-CC for more on
this topic.

> If they violate that law, they will go to jail or pay the fine.

Someone has to let the proper agencies know, before something like
that can happen.  I still feel that this is a very strict punishment,
though.

> Some network administrator of SPAMMER's origin network may not be
> used to use English at all.  But upstream provider's network
> engineer will take SPAMMER as serious issue.

One needs to know of an easy way to determine who should be contacted,
and what has to be done to reach an understanding.  How does an
English speaking Greek like me find out who speaks English and who
doesn't?  What are the fallback mechanisms that aree available in case
no English speaking person is found?

> If you don't get the response from them, you can either contact
> www.certcc.or.kr for assistance.  CERT-CC is korean semi-government
> agency to handle all kinds of network security issue.

Bingo!  Thank you :)))

This should prove rather useful, when a contact is needed.

But does CERT-CC care about spam?  Will they do something about it, or
is it something they're not interested in?  I wouldn't want to send a
dozen reports, only to discover shortly after that I have filled the
mailbox of someone who feels angry about getting stuff from me that
are not related to his/her work.

> As a citizen of the Internet work, we might need to have some
> patience to deal with foreign country, and cooperate to find
> reasonable resolution for the problem.

You've done a major step towards helping others with your post, and
providing what information you've written.  This is the best thing you
have done, and for this alone

I thank you,

Giorgos.