Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:02:30 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Len Conrad" <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Subject:   Re: can't boot 4.2R

Hmm.. Considering what you've said the OS is there, but it is
not bootable since it is placed in the wrong location on the disk
or disk is damanged (did you check it for bad blocks?).
Wrong location can only be caused by wrong geometry
specified  while installation. Try enabling LBA mode for the disk
and specifying LBA geometry.