Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:48:29 +0200
From:      Philipp Mergenthaler <un1i@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net
Subject:   Re: PC164SX/booting the floppy

Hi,

Chuck Robey wrote:
> I have a screen before me, entitled "AlphaBIOS Setup".  I chose an
> option labelled "CMOS Setup".  In that subscreen, the 5th and last
> option is "Console Selection", and the area for entry is a pulldown
> option list, of which one is "Digital UNIX Console (SRM)".  I chose
> that, no command line involved.  Didn't need to use the floppy that I'd

I didn't see any changes in the behaviour of the boot manager or the
setup, no matter what I choose in that pulldown menu.

[...]
> You have a PC164SX too, right?  I get the idea I can add extra OSs to
> choose from here.

Yes, that's possible, but I couldn't make it work with that, either.
(Maybe it is possible - I couldn't spend too much time on it, I was
supposed to install Linux :-/ )
FWIW, the SuSE guys don't seem to know this "AlphaBIOS console" either,
only the normal ARM and SRM consoles.

The AlphaBIOS GUI has an update option somewhere, and you can use this
to replace it with the SRM firmware: put sx164srm.rom and fwupdate.exe
(a version with a size of > 900kb, not the 400-something-kb-version)
on a DOS-formatted floppy and let it update from that.

That worked for me... but if someone knows if/how it's possible to boot
FreeBSD with AlphaBIOS, I'd like to hear it, too.

Bye, Philipp

--
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/