Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:11:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Bill McMilleon" <billmcmilleon@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hardening my nat/firewall rules

Bill McMilleon writes:
> # Always allow traffic on the local/private subnet
> add allow ip from 192.168.0.0/16 to 192.168.0.0/16 via xl0

I almost forgot - don't do this. Go back and open holes for individual
services for the local net as well. The idea is that, should someone
break into a system behind through the firewall (say your web server),
or in larger installations through an external connection installed by
somene else, you're not making their life any easier. This also gives
you a chance to log the connections so you can watch for suspicious
behavior. It's all part of the "All that is not permitted is denied"
idea.

You also might want to look at adding rules to throw out packets with
bogus IP addresses - especially those coming from the outside
world. I.e. (after the localhost rule):

add deny all from any to 127.0.0.0/8
add deny all from 192.168.0.0/16 recv ep0

Note that 192.168.0.0/16 are the IPs your internal network uses, not
just a generic unregistered network. The idea is to throw out packets
claiming to be from your internal network showing up on the external
interface. This probably requires tweaking, *especially* if your
firewall isn't your router.

	<mike