Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:04:09 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Yatin Patil <yatin.patil@windriver.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager configuration

Yatin Patil schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I want to know how to configure the boot manager that installed with
> FreeBSD (4.3 RELEASE). My system has Windows2000 and FreeBSD on it.
> The boot manager works just fine but it is apparently not able to
> recognize the NTFS partition. The boot manager displays
>
> F1: ??
> F2: FreeBSD
>
> I'd like to do two things -
>
>    1. Change ?? to Windows2000
>    2. Increase (or disable) the timeout before it boots the OS you
>       booted previously.
>
> Where can I find the relevant info.

Unfortunately, the standard bootmanager installed with FreeBSD
(BootEasy) is not configurable. In addition, it is coded in Assembler,
and has to fit into the boot sector. Thus it won't be easy to modify it
to recognize Win2K partitions.

If you got a FreeBSD install CD from Walnut Creek, BSDi or Wind River,
another, configurable boot manager (OSBS) resides in the tools
directory. This will allow you to name the boot prompt the way you like
and change the timeouts.

HTH
-Christoph Sold