Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:22:34 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jeremy Falcon <jeremy@intersurf.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem starting ftpd

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 06:59:08AM -0500, Jeremy Falcon wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Using ftpd -lD produces the following message...
>
> Oct 27 06:05:20 gateway ftpd[238]: control bind: Address already in use

Do you have ftpd(8) enabled in inetd(8)? Look in inetd.conf(5) to find
out. Disable it and send a HUP to inetd(8) if it is in there. If it is
not enabled, it looks like you already have an ftp daemon running.

> ...and it doesn't return me to a prompt.  After closer examination I can't
> help but wonder if this issue starts with something else besides ftpd and
> inetd.  inetd never really hangs.  During bootstrap, this is where I have to
> use Control+C (^C)...

Do you want ftpd to run out of inetd or as its own daemon? Using the
'-D' option is for running it as an independent daemon.

> starting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmail^C sshd usbd.

Is your DNS working correctly? sendmail does some DNS lookups when it
starts up. If you did not ctrl-C, it would likely timeout after a bit
and the process would continue on its own.

> ...after I use Control+C, then sshd and usbd starts, and FreeBSD continues
> booting.  Now, if the entry for ftpd is in inetd.conf, then wouldn't that be
> read and executed before cron was started?  I don't think the daemons are
> started asynchronously because sshd and usbd would start before I hit
> Control+C if that were true.

Don't run ftpd from inetd if you want to run a separate ftpd
deamon. What does cron have to do with this, BTW?

> Is there a way to find out what was trying to be run as a daemon during
> boot, so I can see what didn't start?  Where does FreeBSD look to find all
> the daemons it needs to run during bootstrap?

In the rc files. The code you are looking for is in rc.network. If you
want to search the startup codes,

  $ grep <string> /etc/rc*

You can add /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* to search the "custom" additions.

> This is a fresh 4.1.1 install, I'm still using the GENERIC kernel and making
> a point to not change anything until someone can help me figure out what the
> problem is.

First, what are you trying to do? If you want to run an independent
ftpd daemon, you have to disable ftpd in inetd.conf. Only one program,
either an ftpd daemon or inetd, can be listening on port 21 at a time.