Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 13:21:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org (John Dyson)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good news -- pipe stuff

> I think that the context switch performance improvement that I would expect
> to see would be mostly an artifact of the measurement method (improving
> pipe perf.)  There should be NO negative impact, because all changes
> will be in the pipe code (new file: sys_pipe.c) and removal of the
> pipe() subroutine in uipc_syscalls.c.

OK.  I rememebr that the pipe performance was a factor for the context
switch overhead; I wasn't sure which aspect of context switching you
were addressing.  I'd definitely like to see the line drop across the
board, but trading back end for front end is (IMO) undesirable.

Have you gotten a copy of the "ctx" program they used in the paper
to get their benchmark results?  I'd be interested in something like
this as an add-on to the general diagnostic tools available for FreeBSD
anyway...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---