Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 10:54:52 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com
Cc:        jmutter@netwalk.com, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

At 08:19 AM 5/5/99 -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:

 >Yes, you have said many times before that the marketing of FreeBSD is
>lackluster at best and the response has always been the same; go and do a
>better job.
>No on is holding a gun to your head Brett. If you are that
>unhappy with the current marketing effort you are invited to do a better
>job. Yes, that's right, just go a do it. No on is stopping you.

Doing a better job would take a great deal of time and effort. If I could
arrange, somehow, to generate enough of an income stream from it, I'd do
it.

Ideas?

>I am growing very tired of this little game of yours Brett. Every couple of
>weeks you show up telling us how wrong we are and how we are completely
>fucking this up and we should do this and that.

Who is "we?" I have not criticized you as a developer; in fact, I think
that the Core Team is doing a good job. Its main problem is that it is
short on people, and this is what's hurting the project badly. (It is
a tragedy that there are no CAM drivers for the most common Adaptec
ISA SCSI host adapters, for example -- but this stems not from a
lack of competence so much as a lack of hands and brains.)

The problem about which I'm sounding off is PR. Since FreeBSD's PR
problems are actually a major cause of the manpower shortage, I would
hope and expect that the Core Team members, wanting to see progress,
would be very much on my side on this issue!

>Notice, of course, you
>never lift a finger yourself.

I've been discouraged from contributing code by Jordan, in particular,
and also a few others.

These people don't recognize the severity of the marketing problems
or understand how to deal with them -- in fact, they actively FIGHT
AGAINST the sort of marketing that's needed. I think that one reason
why Jordan may be motivated to reject my proposed technical contributions
is that influence within the group seems to stem (rightly or wrongly)
from the extent to which one has contributed code. If he doesn't like
the way I would advocate FreeBSD, the most effective way of making
sure that my ideas about advocacy are rejected is -- perversely -- to
prevent me from gaining respect as a coder.

The ability to do marketing and advocacy shouldn't correlate with
coding; they're two different areas. But the current tie between the
two virtually guarantees that techies -- who are often bad at it --
will make marketing and advocacy decisions. This is one of the
maladaptive traits of the current FreeBSD organizational structure.

>Everyone gets in an uproar over that latest
>round of Brett bullshit, then you stomp off in a huff, promising never to
>darken our doorstop again.

Sorry, but I can't "stomp off in a huff;" I have to read and participate
in the mailing lists because I administer and customize some systems that
run FreeBSD. I *did* resign from the advocacy list because it appeared
that attempting to turn the self-destructive tide there was a lost cause.

>A few weeks go by and you are back. Have you
>ever been diagnosed as a manic-depressive?

No, I've been diagnosed as an effective designer who falls behind on
mailing lists while he builds custom hardware and does programming. ;-)
Not to mention my work as a musician, writer, carpenter, and rental
property manager. I have a time budget for online discussions, and it
runs out quickly when I'm being flamed. So, I have to drop out.

>I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you are that unhappy with
>our efforts then get up off your dead ass and do something about it. Prove
>us wrong. Time to put up or shut up.

Again, how would you suggest that I invest this massive amount of time and
effort (and it would be massive; there's a LOT of work to do and many things
to UNdo) and not go broke? While I *would* like to see FreeBSD succeed, I
certainly couldn't martyr myself financially for it.

--Brett Glass