Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:10:24 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emachine's cheap sound config...

Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> types:
> > Having X installed without bothering to configure a working driver
> > means you can run other clients - gkrellm, for instance - on it to
> > display on your workstation as well.
> 	This last sounds like some new wizardry.  Is gkrellm anything
> 	like VNC?  If you want to drop a few more helpful paragraphs
> 	this way, I'd be much obliged...  Otherwise, I'll note it in
> 	my .ToDo file.

No wizardry at all. Log into the server via ssh, set DISPLAY to point
back to your workstation, and any client you start will display on the
workstation. If you are using ssh with X forwarding enabled, that
takes care of everything for you. Otherwise, you may have to set up
security on your server.

gkrellm is a GUI system monitoring tool. When doing admin duties for a
network with mutliple servers that I'm not using, I like to have a
gkrellm from each client open on my desktop. Just a clock is
sufficient, and lets me monitor that the system times are properly
synced. If it stops, or gets badly behind, or vanishes - something is
wrong, and I need to deal with that system. You can monitor configure
gkrellm to monitor a lot of things, though.

	<mike