Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:36:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@cslab.cs.vt.edu>
To:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 problem?

> On Jun 19, 16:22, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> } Subject: Re: NCR810 problem?
> }  * > ncr0 targ0?: ERROR (80:100) (e-ab-2) (8/13) @ (10d4:e000000).
> }  * >              reg: da 10 0 13 47 8 0 1f 0 e 80 ab 80 0 3 0.
> }  * > ncr0: restart (fatal error).
> }  * > ncr0: reset by timeout.
> }
> That's funny, since there were no changes to the code
> over quite some time. The patches I wanted to be put
> into 2.0.5 don't seem to have included, and so there
> must have been some other change of parameters ...

I have an NCR 53c810 controller, and I see the above mentioned error (or
something that looks just like it) all too often these days.  I
installed 2.0.5R the day it was released, and see the problem only
when rebooting.  It's occurs just after the filesystems are
checked/mounted.  However, something I've discovered only lately, is
that if, after I see the error, I turn the machine off then boot into
single-user mode, do the fsck myself, then just exit, things work fine.

I don't always see this error on reboot, though.  Sometimes the machine
boots normally.  Other times, it gets that damned error.  I also had a
lock up in the middle of a disk-intensive activity last night, with no
hint as to why.  What I don't understand, and would like to help Stefan
with, is determining what is triggering these problems.  What can I do
to try and narrow down the causes of the problem?

I might mention that I had a similar problem under 2.0R.  Every time I
rebooted the machine "properly" (ie, shutdown -r or whatever, so that
the disks got unmounted) the machine would not boot because of an NCR
error right after the filesystems were mounted.  But if I just shut the
power off, then rebooted, it would always work (it had to clean the
filesystems).
--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@vt.edu