Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 19:43:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Small MAKEDEV bug

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 06:56:03PM -0400, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't buy it :-).  This syntax is similar to a special case of the syntax
> > > of jot(1).  It's better to use jot(1) directly, e.g.:
> > >
> > >     MAKEDEV $(jot -w da 2 0)    # make 2 acd devices beginning at acd0
>
> b$ which jot
> /usr/bin/jot
> b$
>
> The jot utility doesn't appear to be in /bin.

You can just type all the device names or use a shell loop when /usr/bin
is not mounted.

> b$ echo '$(jot -w da 2 0)' | wc
>        1       5      17
> b$ echo $(jot -w da 2 0) | wc
>        1       2       8
> b$
>
> Heh.

Yes, it is much faster to type all the device names than to even type
the command to generate them when there are a small number of device
names.

> /me mumbles something about the prototypical UNIX hacker...  :-)

I wouldn't use jot for MAKEDEV'ing disks in practice :-).  Part of
my point is the new syntax for MAKEDEV is just as hard to remember
as the syntax for jot.  You would use it once or twice per millenium
after install more than about 8 drives at once.

Bruce