Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:20:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        youlgok@attglobal.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Q] USER nobody

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 youlgok@attglobal.net wrote:

> I commanded this while the hard disk drive is suddenly moveing so fast :
> ps -aux
> and there's "USER nobody" on the list and it runs several processes
> including su.
> What is this USER nobody?  Is this normal or someone's hacking my
> computer?  When I
> command  w or who, it displays only me.  I'm the only user.

User nobody is a special user, used mostly with programs that need only
minimal privileges on the machine. The 'su' means that something is su'ed
TO nobody and not that 'nobody' is su'ing to another user. Can't really
tell what might be going on, you're not giving us enough info to work
with. Show us some of the processes and let us know what services the
machine is running.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/