Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:33:25 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Second request, can I build a floppy to boot the kernel on the hard disk from?

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 10:08:21AM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	i am trying to get a machine set up for work on Monday.
>
> 	Turns out the 1.2G dsk I brought home for this machien is bad. I put a
> 	20G I had in to allow me to continue, but I can't get the BIOS to see
> 	it well enough to allow me to bootfrom it (old 486 machine).
>
> 	Could someone please tell me how, or point me to docs, no building a
> 	boot floppy that will boot the kernel on the hard disk, and mount hte
> 	hard disk root partiton as /?
>
> 	I would _greatly_ appreciate som help on this. The FreBSD book did not
> 	give me any guidance on this.
>
> 	I know you can do this in Linux using LILO, surely we can do it to?
>
> 	Thanks.

I am going to probably have to set something like this up myself in a
few days.

I _think_ there should not be much more to it than,

1) Take something like kern.flp

2) Set up boot/loader.rc on it to just boot the kernel on the floppy.

3) Put the kernel you will be using for this machine on the floppy.

I think that's it. Except point (3) has some details. Make sure to
specify the correct device as the root device in the kernel config
file when you build the kernel. Also, you may need to compress the
kernel to fit it on the floppy. Use kgzip(8) or kzip(8)... I never
remember which is the more recent one that should be used. I think
kgzip is the one for ELF kernels.