Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:49:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        greg simonoff <gsimonoff@geocities.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to

greg simonoff <gsimonoff@geocities.com> types:
>     I',m trying to mount a SunOS/external drive onto a FreeBSD system
> using a 50 pin cable.  The FreeBSD system sees the drive - ids it as
> Seagate - gets the right size and names it as "da0".  This all shows up
> in the dmesg.  The FreeBSD manuals say to mount drives that are foreign
> like this as /dev/da1s1e where the s means mdos and the e is a slice of
> a physical partition.

The part about 's' isn't true. Could you please let us know which
manual says that, so we can do soemthing about fixing it.

> In the /dev directory there are nodes for
> /dev/da1 but not "/dev/da1s1e".  There is a make file for creating
> nodes, but the make makes guess what?  That's right the nodes that are
> already exist.  How do you use mknode to make this inode?  What should
> the major and minor numbers be?

Try doing "sh MAKEDEV da1s1e" in /dev; that should make the device
entries for you.

>     It would be alot of help to know what the fstab entry for this dirve
> should look like.

That depends on the layout of the drive. Does it use MSDOS slices at
all? Can you read the disklabel off of it, or do you know what it was
on SunOS?

It's not at all clear that you can do what you're trying to do. SunOS
usually refers to the BSD-based versions of Sun's OS, but that doesn't
mean the file systems will be the same. The file system has changed
quit a bit since Sun forked the code.

	<mike