Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:55:13 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jakob Alvermark" <jakob.alvermark@teligent.se>
Cc:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SmartMedia reader for -stable?

Jakob Alvermark <jakob.alvermark@teligent.se> types:
> I have the FlashPath adator too, and I have noticed that there is a Linux
> driver (with source code) for it.
> Something that could be hacked to work with FreeBSD?

It looks like the source code is incomplete. In particular, the
SmartDisk FlashPath Protocol Library appears to be binary only. Since
that's what you actually need to talk to the thing, this doesn't do a
lot of good.

There is someone working on an Open Sourced Linux driver, but they're
still trying to figure out how the drive behaves. It's apparently got
one track, and you write to the first two sectors to move that track
around the memory on the card. It also looks like the file system on
the thing is only vaguely related to FAT.

	<mike