Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:14:01 +0200
From:      "Jovan Ivankovic" <joxi@ptt.yu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   CMI8738 High Sample Rate Problem

I have trouble playing sound with my CMI8738 sound card in FreeBSD
4.3Release.

I recompiled the kernel and I am able to play sounds at low sample rate ....
for example:

#cat sample.au | /dev/audio
works fine ..... and I am also able to play low sample-rate mp3's
#mpg123 /dos/Program\ Files/Winamp/demo.mp3

But when I try to play a file with for example 44100 sample rate I just hear
some weird knock from my speakers

I also cannot make the sound work in KDE 2.1.1 .....

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.3R/notes.html says that my sound card is
supported

I have read the handbook,faqs, man pcm(4), lint ... but nothing seems to
work ...
Thanks in advance