Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   UNDER-clocking Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 at 66x2.5 instead of 75x2.5? OK?

I just put together a new system (I bought it piecemeal: motherboard
from Company A, CPU from company B, etc. and slapped it together myself)
The motherboard uses the Intel i430TX chipset, and the processor I am
using is an IBM/Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233.

At first, I tried setting up the system the way the processor was marked,
namely 75MHz bus speed, 2.5x clock multiplier, 2.9v.  But I got random
crashes, and the system was otherwise unstable.

I have heard that some systems/boards/peripherals can't take the higher
75MHz bus speed, so I tried moving the bus speed down to 66 MHz, and left
everything else as is (clock multiplier, etc.)  Now the CPU is detected as
a 6x86MX-PR200, and everything works perfectly.

Since it seems to work OK now, I think I'll keep it set up this way.  I
just wanted to make sure if it's OK to "UNDER-clock" the CPU like this --
will doing this damage the CPU or motherboard or anything?

Please reply by email &/or to the list.  Thanks!
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com> *NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!*      | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ#16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.