Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:08:36 -0500
From:      "Deepak Jain" <deepak@ai.net>
To:        <remy@boostworks.com>
Cc:        <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FW: Network lockups on fxp0?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Remy Nonnenmacher
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 2:35 AM
To: deepak@ai.net
Cc: jlemon@flugsvamp.com; net@FreeBSD.ORG

On 27 Mar, Deepak Jain wrote:

> I know ifconfig up/down does not solve the problem. That was the first
thing
> tried.
>
> No pattern detected at the network traffic or application level, though
> machines have been known to go down simultaneously (same minute/second)
> though they service unrelated tasks.
>
> No flow control setting changes have been made. I didn't know fast
ethernet
> had reliable flow control.
>
> Thanks for the insight,
>
> Deepak Jain
> AiNET

I have a pattern to submit:

Here is the pciconf -l of network cards:

fxp0@pci0:3:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x12298086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08
hdr=0x00
fxp1@pci2:4:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x10f08086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x05
hdr=0x00

---
fxp0@pci0:4:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x000c8086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08
hdr=0x00
fxp1@pci0:5:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x000c8086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08
hdr=0x00

Our fxp's are both built onto the motherboards, but our servers are running
NO NFS, and none of the systems that are affected are SMP.

Deepak Jain
AiNET

---

fxp2@pci2:5:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x10f08086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x05
hdr=0x00

fxp0 if the embeded 82559 of an STL2 MB. fxp1 and fxp2 are 82558 on a
dual pro/100B card. System is 4.2-STABLE or -RELEASE.

what works:

- UP kernel with or without NFS activity on all interfaces
- SMP kernel without NFS (client) activity on all interfaces
- SMP kernel _with_ NFS (client) activity on fxp1 or fxp2

What do not work:

- SMP kernel _with_ NFS (client) activity on fxp0

(Symptoms: message "SCB Timeout", NFS related activities locked hard.
All other non NFS related network activities keep running).

Hope this may help.

RN.
IhM