Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:53:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <rif@rif.hoosierlink.net>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mainboard recomendation needed

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good Pentium mainboard which will
cache 128 Megs of ram in 70 Pin SIMMS.  My hardware guy said
they stopped making the ASUS board he knew of and found a FIC PA-2007
which looks like it may do the job.  However this board uses the VIA VP2
chipset and I am not sure how that has worked out.  I already have 4 64Meg
simms, so I need to find some motherboards I can utilize this ram in.

On a second though, is it important to have all your memory cached on a
FreeBSD system?  I have heard the primary impact is in other OSes where
things are loaded at the upper end of the available ram first.

If anyone has had experience with a FIC PA-2007 on a semi-heavily loaded
server, I would appreciate hearing of your experiences with that board.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
---
Jim Riffle