Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 11:05:45 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>, jgrosch@MooseRiver.com
Cc:        jmutter@netwalk.com, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

Reframing what *FreeBSD* does is not what matters. What matters is what
happens when the customer calls the application vendor's tech support
line. If he or she is told that FreeBSD is not a directly and officially
supported platform, or even has trouble getting through to the one guy
in tech support who happened to try the product on FreeBSD, that's it.
FreeBSD is out. IT managers are paid to be bullheaded and ultra-conservative
in this regard.

No Windows product vendor supported their code under Win-OS/2; we can't
expect very many Linux product vendors to support their code under Linux
emulation. And the vendor's technical support staff will fight such a thing,
since it requires them to know a lot about a platform for which they
will get few calls (a vicious cycle). And their Linux support staff will
likely be imbued with the Linux "doctrine" and be uninterested in FreeBSD.
You've got to get a native port AND a FreeBSD-knowledgeable support staff
at the application vendor's site that pushes FreeBSD's cause. This means
NUMBERS, and this in turn means evangelism.

--Brett Glass