Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2002 12:38:52 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, JR Richards <jr@ebcrp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghosting-like application

At 12:16 PM 6.7.2002 -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Jun 07), JR Richards said:
>> How do I basically ghost my whole FreeBSD harddrive onto another
>> harddrive?
>
>If the drives are the same size, "dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/da1 bs=1m"
>
>If they're different sizes, you'll have to partition and format the 2nd
>drive's filesystems, and use a dump | restore pipe to copy the data.
>
>--
>	Dan Nelson
>	dnelson@allantgroup.com

Dan: This reminds me... I've seen the "bs=1m" all over the map from other
postings on this very subject: 1024, 4096, 8192 (even 8096)...etc. This is
the first at "1m" I've seen & still wonder how this is determined or
recommended. I'm using 8192 and it works okay. After doing a dd, I even did
a boot test on the HD #2 and it worked slick.... still wonder about the
"bs" though....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator