Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 20:04:40 -0400
From:      parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        jehova <tornadox@telnor.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: localhost for dummies

in message <200205181603.14645.tornadox@telnor.net>,
wrote jehova thusly...

> how can i put a name to my box?  and how can i doit without ill
> efects  or misconfiguration, what happens is that i can't (i don't
> know how) setup host name localhost alias and a basic loopback
> configuration for a stand alone freebsd machine (no lan, no other
> boxes atached) just a 56 k usRobotics modem (working) on ppp
> connection ...

edit /etc/hosts to name your machine w/ 127.0.0.1 address like so...

127.0.0.1    localhost.fu.bar    localhost

...mind you that in your situation domain name "fu.bar" should
actually work.  you can change "fu.bar" to anything you like.

you may need to send your mail thru your isp's smtp server.
sendmail has a setting called "smart host" which would need to be
edited.  i do not use sendmail, so cannot help you further.

i do know that it is the postfix variable "relay_host" which would
need to be set in "main.cf", which by default is located in
/usr/local/etc/postfix directory.  for example, somewhere in
/usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf ...

# change "smtp.server.name.of.your.isp" to actual smtp server name
relay_host = smtp.server.name.of.your.isp

  - parv