Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:50:37 +0100
From:      Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@sebster.com>
To:        Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: argument list too long

Zero Sum wrote:

> > So things are still broken (as I try to explain above), and I still think
> > it needs fixing (stdarg construction, or standard --args-from-file option
> > or somesuch).
> >

> I'll tell you again, and I see, I'm not the only one.  Nothing is 'broken'.
> Nothing needs fixing.  'stdargs' would break everything we have and require
> a full and total rewrite.

Well I'll let democracy run its course then, and I guess the
ultra-conservative party wins. At least I learnt some things from
this thread, among others that "rm *" is obviously a broken construction
and you should use "find . -maxdepth 1 -delete" (which doesn't work
on all UN*X systems either (Solaris doesn't support -maxdepth OR
-delete)). So maybe the best solution, which is portable and
always works is "simply" "find . | grep '^\./[^/]*$'".

Oh well, I'll give up on this topic now.

Greetings,
Sebastiaan van Erk