Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:52:35 -0400
From:      Keith Rackleff <rackleff@adelphia.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!

I had this same type problem.  It appears that FreeBSD and the BIOS did
not select the proper geometry for the disk.  I tried a different disk
on the same system, and I was able to install.

Knopptix reported a different geometry than FreeBSD, so I tried setting
the geometry to match what Knopptix reported, but, the installation
graphical fdisk told me the Knopptix geometry was "unrealistic", and set
it back to the BIOS geometry.

I installed the system on a different drive, and then used the command
line fdisk command to partition the disk with the Knopptix geometry.  I
was then able to set the labels and mount the errant drive.

Keith