Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:28:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Grzegorz Czaplinski <gregory@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mathematica on FreeBSD?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Grzegorz Czaplinski wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:27:16PM +0100, Jan Conrad wrote:
> > We have Mathematica 4 running without problems on FreeBSD 4.1.1 and
> > 4.3BETA
> >
> > It just works great!
> > We only had to brandelf the binaries to linux
> >
> > ciao
> > 	Jan
> Nice to hear that. ;) Would you be so kind and give me a hand in installing
> mathematica? Did you do that on your own? I have a problem with installing
> 3.0 on 4.2.
> Thanks in advance,
> 	/gregory

Here comes everything I did (for mathematica version 4)

have fun
	Jan

#I have an extra partition for mathematica: /ext1
#The old mathematica fonts (v3) were installed under
#/usr/local/mathematica, I did not want to delete them

cd /ext1
mkdir cd mathematica
cd /usr/local
mv mathematica mathematica.fonts
ln -s /ext1/mathematica

mount /cdrom
# about 190MB:
cp -rp /cdrom/Unix/ /ext1/cd/
cd ext1
chown -R root.wheel cd
chmod 700 cd

# brand the binaries (see brandelf.1):

brandelf -t Linux /ext1/cd/Files/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux/*
brandelf -t Linux /ext1/cd/Files/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/Linux/*
brandelf -t Linux /ext1/cd/Files/SystemFiles/Installation/Binaries/Linux/*

# install:

cd /ext1/cd/Installers/Linux/
./MathInstaller

# top dir: /usr/local/mathematica
# d : default installation
# s : skip password installation
# exec dir: /usr/local/bin

# mathid:
cd /ext1/cd/Files/SystemFiles/Installation/Binaries/Linux
./mathinfo