Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 04:11:44 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I hate to bring it up again (spamming)

On 26 Jun 2002, at 11:34, Kevin Golding boldly uttered:

> Someone, quite probably Philip J. Koenig, once wrote:

> >> I rather think the presumption is that if your are smart enough to subscribe
> >> to freebsd-questions, you're smart enough to employ some local method to deal
> >> with spam.  :-)
> >

> >Actually you are making some incorrect assumptions, ie that everyone
> >is receiving individual messages, not digests. (I almost always
> >subscribe to list digests rather than individual messages)
>
> No idea if it's even possible but how about stripping attachments just
> from the digest?
>
> True it wouldn't eradicate the problem but surely that would at least
> reduce the load for digest users who can't filter spam.

You mean at the listserver side?  Good question, but if I were to
hazard a guess I'd think that would require some sort of special
customization, the manpower for which may not be available.

Whereas it would seem that simply adding some rules to the existing
filtering scheme to reject messages with attachment filenames ending
in .scr|.pif|.bat|.com|.exe|.vbs would be relatively trivial, for
example. (and I can't imagine why any such attachments would have
much usefulness in this list)

Neither does blocking attachments to digest subscribers address all
the extra gigabytes of junk being spread around the world to non-
digest subscribers every time someone sends another few 100k viruses
to the list. (1GB for every 5 100k viruses sent to the list, assuming
only 50% of the reputed ~4000 list subscribers are receiving separate
messages)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium