Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:48:33 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sockaddr differences

Ed Alley wrote:

> This difference introduced some subtle bugs; I really began to
> think that I had forgotten how to program.

What sort of bugs?  It sounds like you've been doing something rather
strange in your code.

> 	First Question:
> 		Why is FreeBSD different?

I don't know, but the answer is probably "historical reasons".

> 	Second Question:
> 		Does anyone know of a simple way that I can
> 		program around this without putting in a
> 		lot of ifdefs in my programs?

uh...  Why do you need to?  Just don't touch sun_len and you won't get
problems with it not existing on other systems.  I just bzero the whole
structure before initializing the fields which matter.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D