Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:59:12 -0800 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Larry Hawk <larryhawk@sprintmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting on the internet w/FreeBSD

> UNIX. I am aware of many of the shortcomings of MS Window, which is part
> of the reason for my interest in FreeBSD. But if simple things like
> getting on-line are this hard to figure out, then maybe UNIX (i.e.
> FreeBSD, Linux, etc) just isn't for me. Please help. I don't want
> Windows 98 to be my only option for an OS (It really sucks...). :-)

	DON'T GIVE UP!!!! That being said, you'll find the sections in the
Complete FreeBSD book regarding PPP setup, networking, firewalls (to a
certain extent, aka, you'll want to turn it on,) and depending on your
use/need, NATD to be quite helpful. Most likely you've got all the tools
there and simply need to edit one or two files. ppp.conf and probally
rc.local both under /etc BTW, if you upgrade to 2.2.8, the PPP setup will
probally be easier for you. 2.2.5's PPP setup is almost embarassingly
primitive and hard to use compared to the new version. The number of
changes that have been made to FreeBSD in the last year alone are just
outstanding. In my opinion it has gone from a good product to a great
product. :)
	Also, searching the web site, www.freebsd.org for PPP and in the
mailing lists sections will help quite a bit. There is no shame in using
Windows, merely shame in HAVING to use Windows. :)

						Rick