Date:      Sat,  8 Apr 2000 03:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dhesi@rahul.net (Rahul Dhesi)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "FreeBSD" as trademark

Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net> writes:

>I think you completely misunderstand trademark law.  Context is of utmost
>importance in determining  the validity of a trademark.  For instance, the
>word "Apple" is a  trademark of Apple Computer Corporation when
>used in the context  of computers
>(http://www.apple.com/legal/default.html#tm).  The same  word, "Apple",
>used in the context of music, is a trademark of Apple Records,
>which markets The Beetles' songs.

No, I don't misunderstand trade mark law.  You can use Apple as a trade
mark for selling computers or music, and you can use Computer as a trade
mark for selling apples.  You can't, however, successfully reserve the
right to exclusively use Apple for selling apples, or Computer for
selling computers, or Music for selling music, or BSD for selling BSD.
If this were allowed, pretty soon we would be paying royalties just for
using English.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@email.rahul.net> (spam-filtered with RSS and ORBS)
   See my ORBS faq: