Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:56:19 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
Cc:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

On Sep 22, Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org> wrote:

> In my mind, the most important bit of this is that in this case, Country A
> hasn't DONE anything.  Afghanistan has NOT attacked the United States yet the
> United States wants retribution against Afghanistan because there is a person
> there who has been grated asylum that the US government THINKS organised the
> attack.

And there is an important side note here, with regards to the Taliban. The
Taliban have now publically stated that if the US are able to prove that
Laden was responsible, they will hand him over. The problem is that it will
be almost impossible to prove he was responsible without the ability to
cross-examine him, or carry out an investigation in Afghanistan with the
Taliban's approval.

> If the US granted asylum to someone say (totally random example) from the IRA,
> and the British said "Hand him over, or we'll bomb the hell out of you.
> You're harbouring him, so that makes you responsible for all he has done...
> including this stuff that we don't have any hard evidence that he actually
> did."  the entire US public would be outraged, refuse to hand the refugee over
> and quite possibly be happy to go to war over it KNOWING they were right.  Yet

That's OK. We are used to the US senate and large sections of the US public
giving support to an organisation that are responsible for around 5,000
deaths in our country over the last 30 years. Fortunately, it now looks like
the NI problem is starting to get resolved, and it's probably not worth
dragging that one in here. However, I suspect that Sinn Fein's next
money-raising campaign in the US to buy guns (if they have another
one) probably won't be as successful as the previous President-sponsored
events. :-)

> this is the position that the US has put the Afghanistan government into.
> They have not offered convincing evidence that Bin Ladden is responsible for
> this attack.  With the evidence that has been made public, they would NOT get
> a conviction in a court of law.  Doubtless they know something we don't, but
> the entire US piblic is going along with this WITHOUT being offered the proof.

Actually, the parallels to NI are getting stronger here. It would be
reasonable to assume that the British government know who the full
membership of the IRA is, and who is responsible for the majority of
terrorist activity over the last 30 years. However, none of it would stand
up in court and the detection methods used would have to be disclosed - not
something that they might want to happen. I can see the exact same problem
in the US.

> That is the bit that scares me.  If the United States said "We are going to
> hunt all terrorists down no matter where they hide - that's why we have
> special forces and are justifiably pround of our ability to effect pinpoint
> strikes with massive firepower." I would be about 87% behind them.  That's not
> what they're saying though.

Make it known. From what I've heard it's only the right wing who are
supporting the current position. Lines like "you're either with us or you're
with the terrorists" might scare the hell out of me (a wimpy English
liberal) but the question is to how many members of the US population don't
like th current plan, and more importantly, how many are prepared to make
that fact known. I suspect CNN aren't really interested in talking to people
like that, as they increasingly seem to be Bush's mouthpiece.

This might be over the top, but this is all starting to get a little 1930's
for my taste... some of the tactics being used by Bush to justify himself
are definitely ones that wiff a little of those used by the man whose name I
shall merely abbreviate as 'H'. Like I say, over the top, but it is all
starting to feel rather surreal.

--
PR