Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:13:26 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

At 02:07 PM 9/15/97 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 15, 1997 at 12:33:59AM -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>> At 11:42 AM 9/15/97 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>> I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I still claim
>>> that /etc/hosts is just plain obsolete.  If anybody can give me any
>>> reasons for using /etc/hosts, I'm sure I can refute them.
>>
>> How about:
>>
>> You are running a very small network (less than 10 machines) and are
>> sometimes connected to the Internet.
>
>No.  An ideal reason to want to have a name server.

Why? It's overkill.

>> You don't want to set up a nameserver.
>
>No fair.  We're talking about technical reasons here, not emotional ones.

It's not an emotional argument, it's a logistical argument. I have a test in
my Physics class at 7pm tomorrow (Monday). I have class during the day. I
need to be asking questions all day to help me be ready for my test. I have
a programming assignment due Wednesday in my CSC 451 class (OS) that I'm
expecting to have to spend 8-12 hours on. I have another program due in my
data structures class due a week from Wednesday. I have to go to work as
well. Plus I have
more homework due and more on the way.

My X terminal broke yesterday and I need to fix it (a Sun 3/60 dual-headed).

Next week won't be much better.

You wanna set up a nameserver for me? I can arrange a time for my box to be
on the air, my hostname is kpneal.users.mindspring.com (when I'm up).

>> You _do_ want these machines to have
>> names. You don't have names for them on the Internet. Furthermore, you don't
>> want to have to diddle /etc/resolve.conf apon ppp-up and ppp-down to point
>> at a different name server.
>
>If you have a name server, you don't need resolv.conf.

How else am I going to tell my machine what name servers to use?

>> You know exactly what "lookup file bind" does, and it does exactly
>> what you want in this situation.
>
>It keeps your host names consistent across the local net?

So does sup, rdist, rcp in a cron job, etc etc etc. Those are also easier to
set up. Plus, how often does my network change that radically? Once in 4 years.

Plus, of my machines, only three are up all the time. One is my Windows box,
one is an unix box, the third is my X terminal. Actually, four: my Amiga
finally works again so it will be doing stuff as well. How difficult is it
to syncronize /etc/hosts across that many machines?

> It caches
>name server lookups across your slow Internet connection?

Check my headers.

I do most of my stuff on the Internet via my 486 running (yah, I know)
Windows 95. It has it's own (internal) modem. Do you know how difficult it
is to get Windows to switch name servers? What a pain!

I also dialup via my other box and run sup, fetchmail (on an alternate email
account), etc. It has an /etc/hosts file for the apartment, and nameservers
at Mindspring for the Internet.

Dude, we're looking at even more complexity when what I have works fine. I
don't have time for adding complexity to my system when it works just fine now.

>named is your friend.

It may be your friend, but it's way overkill for what I do.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/