Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:59:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard Drive Mirroring.

I've seen a lot of info on this list about mirroring hard drives, most of
which is answered with "man vinum".

I want to mirror two hard drives so that if one fails, the other will
boot.  And while I'm honestly expecting that this could be done with
vinum, I don't think I need it, as the data on the drives (other than
logfiles) will br pretty static.  (this is for a router)

So here's the questions of the day:

1. Is there some boot manager that will recognize failed drives and roll
over to the next?

2. Does vinum (or is it the loader) support booting directly to a vinum
partition?

3. Can anyone think of a better way to do this (I've thought about making
boot floppies and I've also considered making a boot cdrom, although I
have no idea how I would do this, help would be appreciated)

Thanks,

Dan Mahoney

--

"And, a special guest, from the future, miss Ria Pischell.  Miss Pischell,
as you all know, is the inventor of the Statiophonic Oxygenetic

-Rufus, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey