Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:24:20 -0400
From:      "Miroslav Pendev" <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
To:        "Shawn Kennedy" <shawnlkennedy@lucent.com>
Cc:        "questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DHCP/DNS question

> > > Here is what is in my dhclient.leases file.
> > > I have changed some of the data for anonymity.
> > > I'm not too sure Corporate Secuity would be non
> > > to pleased to see any of these addresses on the
> > > net. Notice the "host-name" is not in the lease.
> > >
> > > lease {
> > >   interface "xl0";
> > >   fixed-address 135.www.xxx.yyy;
> > >   option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
> > >   option routers 135.www.xxx.254;
> > >   option dhcp-lease-time 345600;
> > >   option time-servers 135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
> > >   option dhcp-message-type 5;
> > >   option dhcp-server-identifier 135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
> > >   option domain-name-servers 135.aaa.aaa.ccc,135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
> > >   option netbios-name-servers 135.aaa.ddd.eee,135.aaa.ddd.fff;
> > >   option netbios-node-type 2;
> > >   option domain-name "ih.lucent.com";
> > >   renew 5 2002/6/21 19:53:04;
> > >   rebind 0 2002/6/23 15:17:22;
> > >   expire 1 2002/6/24 03:17:22;
> > > }
> > > lease {
> > >   interface "xl0";
> > >   fixed-address 135.www.xxx.yyy;
> > >   option subnet-mask 255.255.248.0;
> > >   option dhcp-lease-time 345600;
> > >   option routers 135.www.xxx.254;
> > >   option time-servers 135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
> > >   option dhcp-message-type 5;
> > >   option domain-name-servers 135.aaa.aaa.ccc,135.aaa.aaa.bbb;
> > >   option dhcp-server-identifier 135.1.1.110;
> > >   option netbios-name-servers 135.aaa.ddd.eee,135.aaa.ddd.fff;
> > >   option domain-name "ih.lucent.com";
> > >   option netbios-node-type 2;
> > >   renew 6 2002/6/22 03:34:39;
> > >   rebind 0 2002/6/23 15:35:41;
> > >   expire 1 2002/6/24 03:35:41;
> >
> > Hum, seems to be OK...
> >
> > In /etc/rc.conf you probably have something like this:
> >
> > ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
> >
> > Can you try to put this :
> >
> > send host-name "your-host-name"
> >
> > into /etc/dhclient.conf
> >
> > Hope that's what you need!
>
> Hi Miro,
>
> A good shot, but it didn't seem to do anything usefull.
Hi Shawn,

Thanks ;-) but not very helpfull..

> dhclient.leases did not change (no nost-name in the file).

This means that the problem, probably, is not that your DHCP client is not
sending
your host name as you DNS guy said.
I saw that you have two DNS servers: domain-name-servers and
netbios-name-servers...
Can you try to ping your host 'name' but from host that have only the
domain-name-servers
not both of them. You can enter them manually.
Is your network M$ Active Directory Services enabled?

> The DNS lookup still shows an invalid name.
From which DNS server (the server IP) from netbios-ones or others?

If everithing with the 'standart' DNS-DHCP server is OK you must be able
to ping your host name from non Windows host. (You said something about
Linux host - what DNS servers it is using.
If you cannot ping your host name from M$ Windows hosts, you may need
to add static entry as Adam said into M$ DNS Server pointing
to your IP static adress. As far as I know M$ DNS servers are not
exectly 'UNIX' compatible because of ADS 'extensions' or whatever they say.

> I do have ifconfig_Xl0="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf before I
> started this.
>
> Do you have a dhclient_conf file that you would like me to try?

I have, but the important part is 'send host-name', the other staff is for
DNS server, default router ... blah blah it is not what you need.

In the worst case, you may need to create static IP and DNS entry for your
host.

Anyway, send to the list what is the result ...

--Miro