Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:53:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 8100 video issue

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

> Hmmm . . yes . . . that's why I picked the RAGE chip rather than the nvidia
> chip when I ordered my i8000.  (I order two entire months ago, before the
> 8100 was out . . . I don't know if this was an option with the 8100.)

The Rage card is significantly less powerful than the GeForce2Go, I
decided to maximize performance at the cost of compatibility with FreeBSD,
which I make use of mainly on a console basis at any rate.

> This patch is the for the Mach64 X driver; that is, the ATI RAGE Mobility Pro
> chipset, not the nvidia chip set.

The patch was for /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/vesa.c, clearly a part of BSD's
kernel - as long as BSD is able to allow 1400x1050 as a valid mode, the
XFree86 vesa driver will act accordingly.

> If the RAGE is available; maybe you could still get it swapped out?

The nVidia has higher power requirements - i8100's shipped with GeForce2Go
cards have subtly different power systems than those with Rage cards.

> Anyway, this should be a warning to people who have not bought their
> computers yet to avoid nvidia.

I'm rather satisfied with my purchase - the performance of which is
exceptional in 2D terms even in X under FreeBSD.

Brad