Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:44:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the ltmdm patches?

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 dochawk@psu.edu wrote:

> > Can you be a bit more specific about *what* "ltmdm problems"?
>
> ppp can talk to the modem, but can't get a dialtone.
>
> On boot, I get
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
> ltmdm0: <Xircom Winmodem> port 0x1840-0x1847 mem 0xf0121000-0xf0121fff ir=
q 11 at device 3.1 on pci0
> ltmdm0: could not map interrupt in non-shareable mode.
> ltmdm0: could not activate interrupt in fast mode
> ltmdm0: type Virtual 16550A

That's what I got too when using the ltmdm port. When I used the sources
plus patches directly from Wanatabe's page, I didn't get that "could
not.." messages anymore.

> On checking the rest of dmesg, it seems that the entire pci system and
> the video chips use irq 11 as well.

Did you try to check the BIOS and remove all fix IRQ assignments? It
helped here on a Thinkpad T20, where I at first also got the "NO DIALTONE"
message. The modem works fine now. The kernel module still has the problem
of producing a kernel panic a few seconds after unloading.

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/