Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:53:24 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        rshea@opendoor.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'df' shows 'avail' is < zero !

rshea@opendoor.co.nz wrote:

> Hi - When I do a 'df' I can see that I have a negative 'avail' value. I'm
> rather surprised this is possible ! It's on the file system which is
> dedicated to the '/' mount point.
>
> My primary question is will the machine reboot in this state ? I
> don't want to find out by trying !

This is fine.  A small percentage of space on all filesystems is reserved
for root, a negative avail just shows that you've started using that space.
If you look at any other filesystem you'll see the counts don't add up, this
is the same reason.

ben@magnesium:~$ df /usr
Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1e    3664014  3266055   104838    97%    /usr
ben@magnesium:~$ expr 3266055 + 104838
3370893

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D