Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:51:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>, Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Legacy Device Support (Was RE: No help...)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> some importance but in reality its fairly difficult to convince developers
> to spend lots of time working on drivers for devices that won't work in
> the majority of new computers sold today.

An Exabyte 8200, for example, is still in farly widespread use, and to
drop support for it in 4.0 seems a little strange.  After all, it's
not exactly ancient.

> So who is supposed to have this "strong commitment"?  My desire to play
> with old hardware only covers so much commitment before I get frusterated

Devices like tape drives are not cheap... people have investments in
drives like the Exabytes, pefectly good hardware that's far from
useless which still holds a reasonable amount of data and is fairly
quick for home use.  Are we expected to purchase all new hardware
everytime we upgrade?  If so, it appeas that Microsoftitis may be
infecting the brains of some people working on FreeBSD, alas.

--
R. D. Davis
rdd@perqlogic.com