Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 19:56:18 +1000
From:      Richard Uren <richard@thehub.com.au>
To:        "'Rowan Crowe'" <rowan@sensation.net.au>, "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: freebsd used in routers?

On Monday, April 05, 1999 5:59 PM, Rowan Crowe [SMTP:rowan@sensation.net.au] wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Rowan,

> Sorry that this is a fairly general question, but I am trying to get some
> real-world support for a proposal to build up an IP network from scratch
> using FreeBSD as the core - both for routing and server functions. (Using
> more than one machine, of course!)
>
> The routers will have no moving media (boot from network or flash drive).
>
> My questions are:
>
> How many of you are using FreeBSD PCs as reasonably high end routers (say
> 512kbit/sec+)?

We're using a FreeBSD router a our border router at the moment
and its performing very well.  It moves up around 1Mbit per second
during the peaks on some interfaces.

We're also running mrt (for BGP) peering with 2 upstreams
and Ausbone (the local peering network of which I am sure you are aware ;-)

> What made you choose this solution and what problems did you face?

100 Mb interfaces are cheap ;-)

> What sort of hardware are you using?

We're using a P120 with 40Mb Ram at the moment.  Its got plenty enough grunt
for the task however it only carries 2700 routes.

Cheers
Richard