Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:52:37 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Martin Braun <yellowgoldmine@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:34:36 +0100, Martin Braun wrote:
> FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..
>=20
> I stopped using FreeBSD when it was about 5.x or something because I found
> I spend more time compiling than I did managing our server room. I went
> with Debian (and the beloved apt-get tool) and I never looked back.

Even on FreeBSD 5, binary package installation and
upgrading was possible (even though not as comfortable
as with pkg today). System tools like pkg_add and
additional tools like portmaster made it relatively
easy to avoid compiling stuff (except where you really
wanted, required or intended it).

> Then I needed to test different containers out so I tested Linux-VServer,
> Xen, UML, and other stuff, and naturally I had to test FreeBSD Jails. I
> decided to use ezjail and I noticed that FreeBSD has gotten some new real=
ly
> cool tools and jails combined with ZFS are incredible.

Many features found in the commercial Solaris operating
system have been implemented in FreeBSD, as you noted
Jails and ZFS, but also dtrace or BEs. Comparable and
reliably working things like those do not exist in Linux
at the moment.

> So pkg_add is gone and now there is the new and improved pkg and together
> with "freebsd-update" it is possible to keep a system upgraded at all tim=
es
> using ONLY binary packages, which are great!

It really is. The only thing that should happen (and
probably will happen) is that the amount of packages
that can be installed via pkg should grow. Then it
will be easy to install things like office suites
with localized support as it has been possible with
the old pkg_add a decade ago. :-)

> The whole point of the ports system is as stated on the OpenBSD FAQ:
>=20
>     "The end result of the porting effort are ready-to-install binary
> packages."

This is _one_ possible end result, but it's definitely
not the only one. There are situation where you want
or need to compile stuff (for example because a specific
combination of built-time options need to be set which
differ from the default options that are used when the
binary packages are built, or when you have to apply
specific optimization).

The Ports Collection basically is a means to install,
modify, upgrade and delete software, not more, not less,
and it's based on source code (which can be fetched
and patched). It's an infrastructure that conforms to
the concept of FreeBSD being a _general purpose OS_
which is not tied to being a server or desktop OS,
but can be either of them, or both of them.

> So great.. yes?
>=20
> NO!
>=20
> Why not?
>=20
> Because still the FreeBSD ports team doesn't agree with that notion from
> the OpenBSD FAQ about packages.

This is because the FreeBSD team does not share this
opinion, for a reason. Maybe it's the reason I mentioned,
maybe it's something else.

> The binary packages on FreeBSD are compiled with so few options available
> that you end up compiling the whole bunch from source anyway!

What is "so few"? Someone, i. e. the port maintainer,
decided the default options where he is sure the package
will build _and_ will be suitable for the typical use
case. However, there are imaginable use cases where the
default options simply don't work. It may be OpenOffice
which needs to be in German instead of English, it may
be mplayer to include or exclude mencoder, or all the
codecs, or only a very specific subset of codecs, or
specific CFLAGS to get it running on limited resources.
Or it's X which should not require HAL and DBUS because
those aren't needed.

To get a feeling for how many options are involved when
building packages, just go to the KDE 4 metaport and
run "make config-recursive". You'll be surprised. :-)

> A simple setup on a mailserver with Postfix, Dovecot, MySQL, and a couple
> of other packages doesn't work using the binary packages because they are
> NOT compiled to fit together!

This is quite possible. Many server admins (as you're
talking about a mail server with a database) will tell
you that they prefer building software from source,
which isn't that uncommon as today's servers have more
than sufficient resources to run a "compile orgy" without
significant system load.

Also consider that a port maintainer simply cannot imagine
all possible combinations of the software he maintains and
software that is being maintained by other people.

And what if someone wants to use SQLite instead of MySQL
as a database? How should that be mapped to "statically
connected" packages?

> Now.. what the "=A4"%"#!"!=A4 is the point then!? Why don't we just forget
> about binary packages in FreeBSD and make everyone compile?

Because there are situation where you just don't want
to compile, or _can't_ compile due to limited resources.
In that case, "pkg add <something>" is more than welcome.
Now that upgrading is also possible that way, FreeBSD
leaves the _choice_ to you. FreeBSD basically is not
about forcing you to do something in a determined and
restricted way.

> There's no point in making those pre-made binary packages ready for usage
> when they are only freaking compiled to run alone without any kind of usa=
ge
> what so ever!

It should not be that way, and I have to admit that
I've not seen the situation you're describing, even
though I'm a big fan of precompiled packages (and
only tend to compile from source when it's really
needed).

> Sorry, but I really think it's a shame.

Of course there are limitations in what pkg can do
at the moment, but in my opinion, it's an improvement
in comparison to pkg_*, and there is still development
ongoing to make it even better.

> Some don't trust binary packages from FreeBSD and some just like to tweak=
 -
> GREAT!

True. And _possible_.

> But others just like to get some work done.. rather than compiling..
> compiling.. compiling..!

Then don't compile. Use the binary packages as they
are available. And keep in mind that compiling stuff
isn't that complicated anymore, as home PCs with their
plentycore CPUs and tons of RAM and endless hard disks
offer more system resources than a "higher class" server
10 years ago. :-)

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany