Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:08:00 +0100
From:      James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com>
To:        Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
Cc:        so@server.i-clue.de, tperlin@yahoo.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster - problem installing files

You aren't the only one.  I've seen this happening on my system eversince the
start of the month (same time linuxemu+SMP started to hang the machine
totally).  Since nothing seems to have been done about the SMP hangs after
myself and at least one other person mentioned them, I downgraded to a copy
from the middle of last month (backups are your friend) and the mergemaster
problem went away at the same time.

james

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:06:49 +0100
Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:30:50AM +0200, Christoph Sold said:
> > Tim Erlin schrieb:
> > >
> > > I'm updating my source, trying to run mergemaster, but
> > > it seems to fail when trying to install the temporary
> > > or merged files. The error is "problem installing
> > > ./blahblahfile, it will remain to merge by hand
> > > later."
> > This _is_ the quick solution: somehow you have managed to make one file
> > read-only even to root, thus mergemaster does not want to replace it.
> > All other files got merged.
>
> I'm not convinced - I've been getting this error for approximately two
> months on two different machinesm mainly with stuff in /etc/defaults.
>
> The strangest bit is that after mergemaster has completed, checking the
> files reveals that they _have_ actually been merged, which is why I never
> worried about it.
>
> Ceri
>
> --
> We've tried this God stuff long enough.  It's time for a change.

find great crazy-mad out-of-head experience from japan.