Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 06:44:22 -0800
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

Mike Smith wrote:

> If you update /sbin/mount at the same time, it's a no-op.

Actually this is not QUITE true.  I have a PII system that I had to
install with a normal DOS partition setup to get to boot FreeBSD (I
guess this is a known problem).  Anyway I've been running -current
systems on it and it sometimes dies under heavy loads while doing NFS.

Last week this happened when I was using the system from home and the
system did not come up again.  When I got to work I found that the
system had done the fscks on its file systems but couldn't re-mount
/dev/rsd0a read-write!

Putting /dev/sd0s1a in the fstab fixed this.  The system now recovers
gracefully from NFS-induced crashes.  :-)

-Fred Gilham    gilham@csl.sri.com